Cocktails for the Cowboy in youWhiskey Sour
- 2-1/2 oz bourbon
- 1-1/2 oz lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon superfine sugar
- orange slice
- maraschino cherry
- 2oz Bourbon
- 1oz Southern Comfort
- 1tsp fresh lime juice
- 1tsp fresh lemon juice
- Lime wedge, for garnish
- 3 parts Ginger Beer
- 2 Parts Bourbon
- 4 parts Jack Daniel's Gentleman Jack
- 1 part lemon juice
- 1 1/2 parts simple syrup
- 2 dashes orange bitters
Fill glass with ice and stir together.
To be labeled Bourbon
1. Bourbon needs to be produced in America. While bourbon has its roots in Kentucky and continues to primarily be produced there, it is manufactured in distillers all over the US.
2. Must be made from 51% corn (whiskey does not). Bourbon is kind of like whiskey’s “sweet friend.” Because corn is a sweet grain, the more corn, the sweeter the whiskey.
3. Must be stored in new, charred-oak barrels and aged for at least 2 years.
4. To be called bourbon the liquid needs to be distilled to no more than 160 proof.
5. The only thing that can be added to bourbon is water (and that is only to bring it down to proof). It cannot contain any added flavoring, coloring or other additives. Other whiskey makers can add colors (often caramel) and flavors to their products.
If you like sweet flavor - have a bourbon. Try with smoked ribs or in an old-fashioned cocktail!
Popular Brands: Orphan Barrel Gifted Horse & Rhetoric, Blantons, Angel’s Envy, Basil Haydon, E.H Taylor’s Small Batch, Breckenridge Bourbon, and Michters
Whiskey vs. Whisky
In the US and Ireland - these grain alcohols are referred to as whiskey, while in Canada and Scotland they call it whisky
Rye is made from corn and rye and must be made with at least 51% of rye. It is aged in new American charred oak barrels for 2 years or more.If you like more of a light & spicy with slight bitterness flavors - try rye whiskey!
Popular Brands: Bulleit Rye, Woodford Reserve Rye, Woody Creek Colorado Rye
It is corn whiskey made in the state of Tennessee. Typically aged 2-4 years in new barrels and goes through a charcoal filtering process before the cask. It has sweet flavor with hints of charcoal.
Popular Brands: Jack Daniels
This is distilled in Ireland. Has a sweet and toasty honey flavor. Great with some Irish Coffee.
Popular Brands: Jameson, Bushmills, Tullamore Dew
Light-Bodied and versatile. Typically aged for 4 years or more.
Popular Brands: Crown Royal, Pendleton, and Windsor
This whisky must be produced in Scotland. It is mostly malted barley and aged in oak barrels for 3 years of more. Most drink this neat (without ice) or on the rocks. Some may add a few drops of water, as this helps reveal the flavors of the liquor. Often known for its variable smokiness with layers of fruitiness.
Try the classic Rob Roy Cocktail
- 2 oz Scotch
- 1 oz sweet vermouth
- dash of angostura bitters
- maraschino cherry
Take a moment and appreciate what is in your glass!
Look- Generally speaking, the darker the whisky is the older it may be because the whiskey gets its color from being in contact with the oak barrel during aging.
Smell- Gently raise the whisky up to your nose until you begin capturing its aromas
Taste- Coat your entire tongue and let it linger on your palate. Is it thick or think? What flavors do you taste
Did you know that adding water brings out more the whisky's aroma.